Sunday, January 13, 2013

Garlicky Chicken Stew

I made this stew over the weekend and I am in love! So delicious! I found this recipe in the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook 2013



I decided to serve it over rice, I think it gave a little more substance to the dish. We ate the leftovers for lunch the next day and had it without the rice, it was super yummy either way.

Serves 8
1 (3 1/2 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces and skinned (I just used 4 chicken cutlets)
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 (14 1/2 oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
5 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp dried thyme (I used a couple springs of fresh thyme) 
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 (9oz) package frozen green beans (I used fresh)
3 tomatoes, halved and sliced
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

1. Put chicken in slow cooker (I browned the chicken in a frying pan first). Whisk together wine and tomato paste in small bowl until smooth. Pour over chicken. Add 1 1/2 cups of broth, the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper to slow cooker. Cover and cook until chicken is fork tender, 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. (I skipped this part because I used boneless chicken breast, I just added everything together and cooked on low for 5 hours).

2. Meanwhile, refrigerate remaining broth.

3. About 40 minutes before cooking time is up, whisk together remaining broth, vinegar, and flour in small bowl until smooth. Whisk in about 1/4 cup of hot stew liquid until blended. Gradually stir broth mixture into slow cooker.

4. Add green beans and tomatoes to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until stew simmers and green beans are tender, about 35 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley. 

Weight Watchers Point Plus Value: 4 point plus
Per Serving (1 piece chicken with 1/2 cup sauce)
Nutritional Fact:
Calories 166
Carbohydrate 8g
Total fat 3g
Saturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 67mg
Fiber 2g
Protein 23g
Sodium 390 mg
Sugar 2g

No comments:

Post a Comment