Sunday, January 6, 2013

Seared Scallops with Basil Sauce

As I mentioned in my previous post, I like to "cook big" on the weekends. I cook things that I just would not normally make on the weekday when everyone is busy and we are all in "the gind". Scallops are something I can't buy for the week when I do my grocery shopping. The day I buy scallops I have to use them, freshness is very important when making seafood and especially scallops. I found this delightful scallop recipe in The Pampered Chef Cooking For Two & More cookbook.



Serves 2
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (sub light cream for a healthy version)
1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
1/8 tsp salt
10 large sea scallops (1-1 1/2 ounces each)
2 teaspoons of a citrus & basil rub (I used a teaspoon of dried basil and a teaspoon of fiery citrus rub, use what ever seasoning you like with some dried basil)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups red and yellow grape tomatoes, cut in half
basil oil or olive oil
salt and coarsely group black pepper

1. Place cream in a small saucepan under low heat, add basil and salt to cream. Let stand to infuse cream with basil flavor.

2. Meanwhile, remove small muscle from side of each scallop, if necessary. Sprinkle scallops with citrus rub; dredge scallops in flour, shaking off excess. (I just dipped each side of scallop in the seasoning mix and then covered with flour, shaking off excess. I like a lot of flavor!) Heat skillet over medium heat until hot; generously spray with oil. Add scallops and cook 4-6 minutes or until scallops are deep golden brown, turning once. Remove scallops from skillet; drain well on paper towels.

3. Meanwhile, wipe out skillet, lightly spray with oil and heat over medium heat until hot. Add tomato halves; season with salt and black pepper. Saute just until warm, about 30 seconds. To serve, microwave basil sauce on high for 30 sec or until hot. Arrange five scallops to a circle in center of each serving plate. Spoon tomatoes into center. Drizzle sauce around edge of plate. (I added fresh steamed asparagus and rice to my plate so I drizzled sauce around the four sides) 

Weight Watchers Point Plus Values: 8 points plus (without rice)
Nutrition Facts:
Calories 310
Total Fat 15g
Saturated Fat 7g
Cholesterol 90mg
Carbohydrate 18g
Protein 27g
Sodium 850mg
Fiber 2g

No comments:

Post a Comment