Friday, January 4, 2013

My Favorite Marinara Sauce!

This tomato sauce was adapted from the "Zuppa di Cozze" (Mussels in Spicy Tomato Sauce) recipe in The Sopranos Family Cookbook. I made the entire recipe for dinner one night, mussels and all, but what I really fell in love with was the tomato sauce. This has become my "go to" marinara sauce for most everything.



Serves 4 (or more in my opinion)
4 garlic cloves chopped (chopped as big or small as you like, I like a chunky marinara sauce)
2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 pinch of crushed red pepper (as big or little as a pinch as you like, I like a spicy sauce)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup white wine
2 cans of Italian peeled or crushed tomatoes (if you chose the whole plum tomatoes be sure to chopped or crush them with you hands before adding to the pot)
Pinch of salt

In a large saucepan, add the chopped garlic, parsley and crushed red pepper to oil over low heat until garlic is golden (only a couple minutes) Stir in the wine and bring to a boil, reduce by 1/2. Add the tomatoes and salt and lower the heat to simmer. 

Cook your sauce down for about 45m to an hour. Check in and stir the sauce every now and then you will know it is down when you are happy with the thickness of the sauce. Remember to taste as you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment