Friday, January 18, 2013

Vegetable-Barley Soup

There isn't anything in the winter season than a good hearty soup for dinner. And soups that I can make in the crock pot on a working night is even better! This is another great slow cooker recipe from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook 2013. This recipe is very easy but takes a lot of prep time.



This soup looks less "soupy" because I started it before I went to work and when I got home late  most of the liquid was gone. I love a heartier soup so it worked for me!

Serves 8
1 (8oz) package white mushrooms quartered
2 carrots, sliced
1 large zucchini, diced 
1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced 
1 small fennel bulb, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1 (14 1/2 oz) can Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes (I used plain diced tomatoes and added my own fresh Italian seasonings such as oregano and parsley) 
1 cup frozen lima beans
3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 pepper

Combine all ingredients in 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.

Weight Watchers Point Plus Value: 4 point plus
Nutritional Facts:
Calories 141
Total Fat 1g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Trans Fat:0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium 445mg
Carbohydrates 30g
Sugar 9g
Fiber 6g
Protein 6g

No comments:

Post a Comment