Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mock Rissotto

I made this dish last night and the Mr. was going on and on about how delicious it was. So I just had to share the super easy recipe with you all. I found this recipe on foodnetwork.com, they have an entire healthy cooking section that I LOVE! "The combination of barley and brown rice make this a hearty, no-fuss mock risotto. Packed with vegetables and given a little bit of creaminess from reduced fat cream cheese, this is a perfect vegetarian main or side dish."



When I make a dish like this I always plate using a smaller plate since there is only one component. This helps with my portion control so I do not over do it.

Serves 4
1/2 cup whole grain brown rice
1/2 cup pearl barley
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 lb thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1in pieces, 3 cups (I just used an entire bunch)
6 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered, 2 cups
2 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp chopped chives (I didn't find any fresh chives that I liked the look of at the store so I left these out)
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest (I also left this out because I forgot, still turned out great!)

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the rice and barley and cook until al dente, 15 mins. drain well.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onion in tender and beginning to brown, 5 minutes. Stir in the drained rice mixture. Add 2 cups broth, cover and cook until the rice and barley are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.

Stir in the asparagus and mushrooms and continue to cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 cup broth, cream cheese and Parmesan until melted and creamy. Sprinkle with chives and zest.

Weight Watchers Points Plus Value: 8 points plus
Nutrition Facts:
Calories 312
Total Fat 8.8g
Saturated Fat 1.2g
Protein 13g
Carbohydrates 49g
Fiber 8g
Cholesterol 1mg
Sodium 194mg

No comments:

Post a Comment